Posted April 12, 2019 12:11:00 The driver of a car that crashed into the Sydney Opera House last week has been charged with two counts of dangerous driving causing death, police said.
The driver was arrested at the scene of the crash in Bourke Street on Monday night.
A 31-year-old man and a 40-year to 60-year old woman are facing one count each of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death.
Both were also charged with dangerous operation.
The man was charged with causing death by dangerous operation and the woman with causing bodily harm.
Police said the two men were arrested in Bourne Street and taken to Sydney police headquarters for questioning.
Police say they will question the woman who is charged with reckless driving.
The vehicle was driving eastbound on Bourke St when it was struck by a parked car.
The victim, who was not identified, died at the hospital.
The crash occurred at about 9:00pm on Monday.
It is the third car crash to be linked to the Opera House in less than a year.
Police believe the driver of the car that hit the Opera house may have been impaired.
The car was not wearing a seatbelt, a condition that is not required by the NSW Transport Safety Bureau.
Police are looking for CCTV footage to help find the driver.
Police have also asked anyone who saw the incident to contact Crime Stoppers.
The Opera House was closed to the public on Monday as police investigated the crash.
The City of Sydney issued an alert to motorists that they should not enter the building until further notice.
They advised residents to avoid the area.
The city’s emergency management department issued a safety bulletin advising people to be careful around the Opera Houses.
It warned against going to the area as the road was closed off and the area was under police guard.
Topics:accidents,safety,opera-house-4114,sydney-2000,perth-6000,canberra-2600,act,perwale-6160,nsw,sydney-3000More stories from Australia